Keeping Your Holiday Safe
PDF Print Email

Keeping Your Holiday SafeThe cold weather has arrived and Fire District #1 and the Johnson County Fire and Emergency Services Chief’s Association want you to have a safe holiday.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, in 2003 there were 53,200 heating related fires in the U.S., which resulted in 260 deaths and 1,260 injuries. There was over 494 million dollars in property damage. Most home heating fire deaths (73%) involved fixed or portable space heaters.  Never touch a heater while in use or leave one unattended.

  • Keep heaters away from blanket, curtains, pillows, throws, rugs and high traffic areas.
  • When using an electric heater, make sure it has an alarm, tip-over switch and an overheating cut-off device.
  • Do not use it if the cord is damaged or frayed.
  • If you are using a kerosene heater, make sure you have proper ventilation and always refuel it outdoors after it has cooled.
  • Don ’t try to use space heaters as your only source of heat.
  • Maintain a clear space in front of them according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Typically, a three feet clearance should be maintained in front of space heaters.
  • When using a fireplace, make sure that the flue is open and that it has a screen in front to prevent sparks from escaping.
  • Have the chimney inspected and cleaned annually to avSpace Heater Holidy Safetyoid creosote buildup.
  • Use seasoned wood and when using manufactured logs, only put one log on the fire at a time.
  • Keep decorations a safe distance away from the fireplace and do not burn greenery or packages in it.
  • Make sure that your smoke alarms are working properly and practice your fire escape plan.

If you have questions or concerns, please contact your local fire department for assistance.

We wish you a happy and safe holiday season!!