Don't Let Gasoline Explode?
PDF Print Email

Gasoline dos and donts safety informationFire District #1 along with the Johnson County Fire and Emergency Chief’s Association would like to remind you that gasoline is dangerous. Gasoline safety is the topic of this years Burn Awareness Week, which is sponsored by the Shriner's Burn Hospital. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, annually in the U.S. there are 1,270 children under the age of five treated for burn injuries caused by gasoline. Each year there are 4,700 fires and 1.1 million injuries due to gasoline fires, which resulted in 4,500 people dying from burn injuries. Children between 10 and 14 years of age are the most likely age group to be injured from gasoline related fires.

Gasoline Do’s and Don’ts

  • Do use gasoline to only fuel an engine.
  • Do allow only adults to handle gasoline in a safe and responsible manner.
  • Do fill gasoline engines only if they are completely cool.
  • Do store gasoline in approved containers.
  • Do store gasoline outside of the home in a well-ventilated area such as a secured shed.
  • Do store gasoline in areas that have no heat or ignition sources.
  • Do keep gasoline quantity at home to a minimum of less than one gallon.
  • Do turn off your vehicle when fueling.
  • Do leave the nozzle in the tank for a few seconds after fueling.
  • Don’t get in and out of your vehicle while fueling to prevent static charges.
  • Don’t smoke while fueling
  • Don’t use gasoline to start a fire or light a barbeque grill.
  • Don’t use gasoline as a cleaning fluid or solvent.
  • Don’t allow children to touch gasoline or a red gasoline container or fuel vehicles, even under adult supervision.
  • Don’t fuel a container while it is in or on a vehicle.
  • Don’t handle gasoline indoors or near a heat source.
  • Don’t siphon gasoline by mouth. It can be fatal if swallowed.
  • Don’t induce vomiting if gasoline is swallowed. Seek medical attention immediately.

If a burn injury occurs, call 911 for emergency assistance. Cool a burn with water until the ambulance arrives. Never use grease, butter or ointments on a burn. Don’t remove the clothing from the burn. If you have additional questions, please contact your local fire department.